Phu Quoc, Vietnam is a beautiful archipelago (a group of islands), located within Thailand bay, of Kien Giang province. Lies in the south of the group is Phu Quoc Pearl- the largest island in Viet Nam. Travel to Phu Quoc, Vietnam, you can enjoy the pure sea, feel the peaceful air of many water springs, and taste one of the most delicious cuisines in Vietnam.
Phu Quoc, Vienam. Credit: coco860
Few notes before visiting Phu Quoc
- From April to November: the most crowded time in Phu Quoc.
- Phu Quoc will be at its most beautiful state in the dry season ( From October to March). Overall, you can visit Phu Quoc in anytime, since the average temperature is only about 28 C.
- The most important thing is to keep watch on the weather forecast to avoid stormy days.
Transportation to Phu Quoc is mostly airplane, high- speed boat or ferry. Here are some transportation choices for you based on the departure place:
Ha Noi – Phu Quoc: by Airplane
- Vietnam Airlines– 1 daily flight with Airbus plane: departed at 8:40 AM and arrived at 10:45 AM. Flight from Phu Quoc: depart at 11:35 AM and arrive at 13:40 PM.
Phu Quoc Cuisine. Credit: hutieumuctuhuong
Ho Chi Minh City- Phu Quoc: About 500 kilometers, by Airplane or Automobile+ high- speed boat
- Plane: Vietnam Airlines– 17 daily flights with ATR plane and 1 flight with Airbus plane. VietJet Air– 1 daily flight with Airbus plane. The estimated flight time is 50 minutes.
- Automobile + High- speed boat Rach Gia – Phu Quoc: There are many high -quality bus firms: Phuong Trang, Kumho, and Mai Linh- on route from Ho Chi Minh City to Rach Gia and vice versa.From Rach Gia, tourists can take the high- speed boat to Phu Quoc. Traveling time is estimated about 6 to 7 hours depended on traffics.
Can Tho – Phu Quoc: Airplane or Automobile+ high- speed boat
- Plane: Vietnam Airlines– 1 daily flight with ATR plane: departed at 13:00 PM and arrived at 13:45 PM. Flight from Phu Quoc: depart at 11:35 AM and arrive at 12:20 PM.
- Automobile + High- speed boat Rach Gia – Phu Quoc: Phuong Trang and Mai Linh are tow high- quality bus firms on route from Can Tho to Rach Gia and vice versa, From Rach Gia. Traveling time is estimated about 3 to 3,5 hours depended on traffic.
- It takes about 20 minutes from the airport to Duong Dong center / Dinh Cau area by taxi. Phu Quoc has 2 large taxi firms: SASCO and Mai Linh, both utilize distant meters, safe and comfortable for tourists.
Rach Gia – Phu Quoc: about 120 kilometers, by airplane or high- speed boat
- Plane: Vietnam Airlines– 1 daily flight: departed at 7:30 AM and arrived at 8:10 AM. Flight from Phu Quoc: depart at 8:45 AM and arrive at 9:25 AM.
Traveling by land from Ho Chi Minh to Rach Gia:
- From pick up points in Le Hong Phong street, District 10 have 2 coach firms:
- Mai Linh- Phone: 083 929 2929
- Phuong Trang- Phone: 08 3833 3468
- From Mien Tay coach station: many firms to choose: Kumho Samco, Ba Dung, Tuyet Hon, Chau Ha
- The Coach will arrive at Rach Gia bus station. The ticker price is about: 120,000 to 150,000 VND/ticket/turn. Estimate traveling time: 6-7 hours.
- It is recommended to buy a ticket for 45 seats-type since it much more comfortable to rest. For time- saving, you should depart at 10 PM to arrive at Kien Giang at only 5 AM. Before exiting, ask the coach driver for the location of shuttle buses station to save cost, since the shuttles are free. Avoid motorbike taxi at all cost, just head straight for the shuttle bus, ask the driver that you want to reach the dock to travel to Phu Quoc.
- High- speed boat: Superdong firm, depart at 8:00 AM in the morning and 13:00 PM in the afternoon. Estimate traveling time: 2,5 hours.
- Address: 14 Tu Do street; Vinh Thanh; Rach Gia. Phone: 077 877742 – 077 877 741.
Phu Quoc Boatships. Credit: Van Hung
Ho Chi Minh city – Ha Tien – Phu Quoc: about 45 kilometers, by highspeed boat or ferry
- Ferry: Depart at Thanh Thoi ferry station ( Ha Tien) and arrive at Da Chong dock (Bai Thom, Phu Quoc). The ferry has a large capacity and can even transport vehicles. Estimate traveling time is about 2 hours. It’s about 20 kilometers From Da Chong dock to Duong Dong station, you can take a coach or motorbike taxi ( difficult to find taxi here).
- High- speed boat: Superdong I and Superdong II, depart from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc at 8:00 AM and 13:00 PM daily. Another firm is Hong Tam: depart from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc at 8:30 AM daily. Estimate traveling time is 1 hour 25 minutes.
Traveling in Phu Quoc
there are 3 main streets:
Tran Hung Dao Street
Have the highest amounts of hotels and resorts in Phu Quoc, most have a beach. Started from the intersection, along Truong beach, to An Thoi. You can move freely from beach to beach of different resorts since the length of this coast is about 10 kilometers. Tran Hung Dao street also lead to many exhibition sites: Coi Nguon, Ngoc Trai, Phu Quoc prison, Yen cave….
The cuisine street: have many restaurants and diners, with a wide variety of seafood. Along the way, you can visit Sung Hung Co Tu Pagoda, Tranh spring, Ham Ninh fishing village, Bai Vong wharves,… or took the street to An Thoi and visit Sao beach, Khem beach,…
Hung Vuong Street
This street along with 30/4 street, are parts of a crossroad. Head along the street until you reach the first intersection, in the left is Nguyen Trung Truc Street, that leads to the airport. On the right leads to Da Ban spring, botanical garden, Ganh Dau, Ong Nguyen temple, Vung Bau tourist site,…
Enjoying Phu Quoc
BAC DAO (THE NORTH ISLAND)
Bac Dao in Phu Quoc is a rich land with many primary forests, abundant ecosystem and lots of beautiful beaches. Come to Bac Dao to immerse yourself in the wilderness and nature. There are many interesting places to visit.
Khu Tuong pepper garden
Phu Quoc pepper is famous for its strong fieriness and smell. Along the road from Duong Dong to Khanh Dau lies many beautiful pepper gardens, you can even buy some peppers as souvenirs.
Ganh Dau cape
The cape points out from the mainland attracts many tourists because of its beautiful wilderness and peaceful nature. The most special thing is, from here, you can actually see the maritime line of Cambodia. Ganh Dau has a 500 meters bow shaped- beach, where tourists can also enjoy delicious seafood.
- Location: Ganh Dau commune, Phu Quoc province, about 15-20 kilometers to the North of Duong Dong town.
Enjoy the sunset at Dinh Cau
Dinh Cau cape is one of the most famous scenery at Phu Quoc. Especially, admiring the sunset here is a must-do when visiting Phu Quoc.
- Location: right in Duong Dong town, about 5 minutes of walking from Duong Dong market.
Hon Thom island
Located in the north of Phu Quoc, in here you can dive in deep sea water to enjoy colorful coral reef, visiting many aquaculture zones, or pearls farming area about 10 kilometers away by boat, you can also visiting famous squid village in Phu Quoc.
- Location: From Phu Quoc dock, about 30 minutes.
Formed by many small streams, Tranh spring flows through many forest and mountains, active from June to November every year. The scenery is very beautiful along with many flowers, mountains, sea and streams, guarantee for a perfect camping spot.
- Location: In Ham Ninh mountain row, north-east of Phu Quoc. From Duong Dong town, following the Duong Dong- Ham Ninh route about 10 kilometers.
Da Ban spring
The spring earns its name ( Da Ban- Flat rock) due to a large amount of giant and flat boulders here. This is the place you can’t ignore when visited Phu Quoc.
- Location: From Dong Duong town from Bac Dao direction, then follow the sign to reach Da Ban Spring.
Da Ngon spring
With 7 waterfalls, the spring stands majestically and mesmerizing still remains a mystery for adventurous tourists. From November to April is the best time to visit Da Ngon Spring since, in the rain season, the stones become slippery.
- Location: East of Bac Dao.
Bai Dai (Long Beach)
Immerse yourself in the sea and the pure white sand of one of the ten most beautiful and pristine beaches of the world, voted by BBC. Bai Dai Phu Quoc has a 1500 meter- coast.
- Location: From Duong Dong center to the spring is about 45minutes to 1 hours by motorbike., following the same direction of resorts (Chen Sea, Chez Carole, Mai Phuong), West of Bac Dao.
Nguyen Trung Truc temple:
Built by the people of Phu Quoc, tributed to the national hero, Nguyen Trung Truc. Every 28 August of Lunar Calendar each year, people gather here to honor his death.
- Location: 25 kilometers away from Duong Dong, to Ganh Dau direction.
Coi Nguon museum
The ninth private museum of Viet Nam, here lies many stories of Phu Quoc, as if the “spirit” of Phu Quoc linger here. The museum saves more than 3.000 relics, including 300 precious letter sets about Phu Quoc, written in Chinese, Viet Nam, English and France, and many display areas (crafts, seashells, pearls, traditional stilt house…) with souvenir shops.
- Location: Tran Hung Dao street, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc.
DONG AND NAM DAO ( THE EAST AND THE SOUTH ISLAND)
Dong and Nam Dao is a lowland intertwined with many woodlands, where many people live. The beautiful and attractive beach such as Bai Truong, Bai Khem, Gieng Ngu is the distinguishing features of the island. There are many interesting places to visit in Nam Dao:
Bai Sao ( Sao Beach)
One of the most beautiful beach in Phu Quoc, with 7 kilometers of soft white sand, in curly shape like the crescent moon. In tourist season, many people fill the beach, so it is recommended to rent early to get a hammock for resting.
- Location: Above Nam Dao tourist route, 30 kilometers away from Duong Dong town. A small tips: If you want to visit Bai Sao, it better to call a taxi or go from An Thoi side due to the dustless road and less traffic ( Bai Truong side in faster but very dusty).
Bai Khem (Khem Beach)
Bai Khem is still a wilderness area with powder- like white sand. A bad thing here is that the beach is filled with trash and leaves. But the best thing is the seafood in Bai Khem is extremely delicious. Here we have many types of grilled fish and herring salad with cheap price. You can visit and enjoy at Cuc Man restaurant, taste the Half-naked pen shell (Phu Quoc’s specialty) and make yourself comfortable in the hammock. You should also check out the pearls farming area here.
- Location: In the South of Phu Quoc, 25 kilometers from Duong Dong, and 5 kilometers from An Thoi dock.
Bai Truong (Truong Beach)
Another place you can’t ignore in Phu Quoc. Only 7 minutes away from the airport, from October to April Bai Truong become famous for its peaceful sea, with small ripples wave. Additionally, here is the best place to enjoy the sunset, since the reflection of the sky on the calm sea create a perfect, breathtaking sight. Must mention the Sunet Sanata Beach club, where the music festival- Epizode, take place on New Year Eve.
- Location: Duong Bao hamlet, Duong To, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang.
Ham Ninh Fishing village
Life in Ham Ninh village still remains old with many small cottages. People here still pearl diving, catching sea cucumber and using a net to capture crab for a living. You can visit Ham Ninh in the early morning to enjoy the dawn or admire the full moon night here. The main cuisine here is the freshly boiled crab, with delicious, bright red meat, dip in sweet lemon pepper salt sauce.
- Location: To the east coast of Dong Dao, about 20 kilometers to the North East from Duong Dong town.
Traditional fish source factory
Here you can discover the method of making the famous Phu Quoc fish sauce, and can even buy some here.
- Location: Phuc Hung fish sauce- Duong Dong, An Thoi, opposite Phu Quoc prison.
An Thoi island group
With 15 islands, scatter to the South West. The beach here is pure but deep, some can reach down to 30 meters. Tourists will find this place suitable for activities such as nature exploration, sightseeing, fishing, swimming, and diving,… Some of An Thoi large islands are named Hon Dan, Hon Dua, Hon Roi, Hon Thom, Vang, Mong Tay, Gam Ghi, May Rut, Chan Qui. Location: South of Phu Quoc.
- Hon Mong Tay ( Nail Island): Hon Mong Tay is a 100% wilderness island because nobody lives here and there are no services, so it is the ideal place for camping, swimming or exploring the wilderness with many vast fields stretching across the island. Another fun activity here is diving and admiring the diverse coral reef system: up to 17 species, with many different color and shape. All of this will guarantee an unforgettable experience for you.
- Hon Gam Ghi: Located to the furthest of South An Thoi, the island attracts tourist with its beautiful beaches, bizarre-looking rock, white sand, and an abundant and thick coral reef system, so thick that you can see it just below the surface.
- Hon May Rut: Lie in the south of Phu Quoc, about 3 nautical miles from An Thoi, May Rut island have a variety of beach and white sand coasts, with pure water, reflects a line of the coconut tree, create a romantic sight. Additionally, May Rut island has a diverse ecosystem, with up to 100 coral species, 125 types of fish, 150 mollusk, and many rare sea dwellers: pearl, manatees, and turtle.
Phu Quoc Prison
Here you can study more about the Vietnam war through many relics and ruins, witness the barbaric and cruelty of prisoner torture here 50 years ago
- Location: Cay Dua neighbors, An Thoi commune, at the far south of Phu Quoc
Exploring Phu Quoc
In Phu Quoc, you can experience many interesting, unique leisure activities.
Visting Vinpearl Safari
Vinpearl Safari is the largest open zoo in Vietnam: about 500 hectares, 130 species with more than 2.200 rare animal individuals. Vinpeal Safari is divided into 2 main sites: the open zoo: for tourist to sightseeing in open area with many animals. And Safari park, that transport tourist in a unique specialized vehicle, through many wild areas that animal allowed to roam free.
Visiting Vinpearl Safari, tourist can experience many activities: enjoy the overview of the zoo with a modern electric car, or witness the incredible performance of animals, feed the animal by yourself, and take pictures with rare animals.
VinPearl Amusement Park
About 170.000 square meters large, VinPearl Amusement Park consists of many fun places: Waterpark, Aquarium, Outdoor Park, Movie Theater, Cuisine and Shopping Street, Fairytale castle,… Additionally, VinPearl Land in Phu Quoc has many dolphin performances with the capacity of 1.152 seats, along with water stage up to 2.337 seats, ready for a cultural event on a national scale.
Dinh Cau night market
A crowded market in Vo Thi Sau street, starting from Bach Dang street to Tran Hung Dao crossroad, extend up to more than 200 meters. The market is near the beach at Duong Dong town center, 100 meters away from Dinh Cau, last from 17:00 PM to 21-22:00 PM. There are more than 100 stands along both side of the street, included souvenirs, crafts, cosmetics, jewelry and Phu Quoc pearl. The most famous one is the cuisine site that specializes in serving unique fresh seafood for dinner, such as seafood pottery, seafood rice, grilled fish,…
Snorkeling and watching coral reef:
South of An Thoi, Hon Mong Tay, Hon Doi Moi and Hon Thay Boi in the north of Phu Quoc have a diverse marine life that suitable for exploring, especially the coral reef here are very abundant with more than 17 species.
Snorkeling and Diving tour is organized by hotels and resorts in Phu Quoc with the average price of 350.000- 500.000 VND/ person.
Fishing and exploring island
This tour will take you to an island or a coast filled with many types of fish: grouper, carp, sea bass, … Your “trophy”- the fish you caught successfully, will be served right on deck. While fishing, you can go camping and exploring at the same time. Recommended: Ong Doi Cape, Hon Dam, Hon Thom,…
Exploring Old-growth forest
If you like the thrill of exploring, this is the choice for you. You can book a tour of “Discover Bac Dao” or go to Da Ngon stream/ Ganh Dau natural reserve area. You can go by yourself or hire a local tour guide.
Fishing for squid at night
When the night comes, it is the best time to have a relaxing and fun time with local fisherman by squid fishing. Nothing can beat a feeling of triumph when you capture squid or even a swordfish by yourself, then have your fortune grilled and served directly on board.
The Cuisine of Phu Quoc:
Phu Quoc island can hypnotize you with many unique cuisines, especially seafood.
Fresh herring, coiled in a rice paper along with many vegetables, some coconut, and dip in the first-class sauce is one of the most favorited food in Phu Quoc, take a bite and feel the sweet sense of vegetables, the greasy of coconut, and the crunchy sweet of herring.
Before enjoying Herring salad, people in Phu Quoc always drink a little bit of Sim wine, due to the fact that herring is still fresh and very rich in protein, so a little yeast is always good for digesting. The sauce is also very special: made from red chilly, garlic and fried nuts, all ground and mix together with a little bit of Phu Quoc fish sauce, to create a unique taste, fits perfectly with herring salad, try it for yourself.
Ham Ninh crab
The price of Ham Ninh crab range from about 200.000-500.000 VND/ kilogram. The big one doesn’t taste good while the small one doesn’t have enough meat in them, so, pick about 6-7 crabs with a total weight of 1 kilogram. Pick the female if you like crab-roe (crab eggs), or the male if you enjoy meat more.
Grilled sweet snails, oyster, and squid
These are the foods that worth a try when you visit Phu Quoc. Fresh ingredients, dip in hot chilly sauce, to create one of the most delicious food. You can find these in any restaurant or Dinh Cau night market.
Grill half-naked shell
There are many ways to make this: fry the shell with mushroom, onion, and broccoli. However, is it the best to try Grill half- naked shell with chilly salt, to fully feel the taste of the ocean. The saltiness along with the heat from chilly will further leverage the sweetness of the shell.
Phu Quoc mushroom is only available in rainy season ( April to November). If you see a mushroom in other time, it is already dried or keep freeze, making it not as good as the fresh mushroom. The fresh mushroom is cooked along with seafood while the dry one is fried with abalone or sea cucumber. After boiling a chicken, putting in fresh mushroom will turn out a delicious soup. Mushroom soup is best served with Phu Quoc fish sauce
Best restaurants in Phu Quoc, Vietnam
1. Kien Xay noodle
In Phu Quoc, Kien Xay noodle a very delicious traditional food, but to have it, you must serve yourself.
2. Ra Khoi diner (131 30/4 street, Duong Dong town)
Serve many good dishes, reasonable price. It is best to go there with your family or friends. Phone:0903952204.
3. Song Xanh restaurant (30/4 street, Town 1, Duong Dong town)
Here you can enjoy unique food such as Herring salad, Fried rice with crab and mushroom pottery. Phone:0773.70 2929 – 0913.848.133
4. Quoc Anh diner
(74 Bach Dang street, Town 1, Duong Dong town) Serve many delicious dishes, normal price
5. Nho seafood restaurant
Located in Dinh Cau night market- Vo Thi Sau street- specialized in seafood. Variety of food, delicious, but quite expensive.